Sunday, January 22, 2006

Let Me Clarify...

I was re-reading my previous post and decide I need to clarify or expand upon my opinions!

To all you working (full or part-time) mums out there, please don't think I am anti you! I most certainly am not. I just believe that we are entitled to make our choices about raising our families, whatever they may be, and not be put down for it.
This is a discussion that has been going on for decades. My choice is to stay at home and be there for my children. That does not make me a lesser person than the woman who chooses to go out and work.
But I am of the opinion that many women HAVE to work, because as a family, they have gotten themselves so deep in unnecessary debt, that staying home is not a choice for them.
Too many folks are on the material rollercoaster, believing that if they have this gadget or that gizmo, they will somehow be a better person for it. I say, it's time to look inside ourselves, to find out what it is we really want, and how we really want to live our lives.
Me? I am learning to be content with our little cottage, that's half-finished because we ran out of funds. It will get finished eventually. I know that I don't need a new car - I may think I'd like one, but realistically, there's nothing wrong with the one I already have. I have learnt to be creative when the pantry is running low and we haven't been paid for a month. I shop in second-hand shops with pride - it's not demeaning to me at all. My wardrobe pretty much consists of a pair of jeans and a half a dozen tops. I grow my own veges and bake my own cakes. I take pride in being conservative with our money. All these are things I have learnt are important to me. I certainly don't expect that everyone wants to live the way I do, but I do believe it is time to for everyone to stand up and take responsibility for the way we live our lives, the decisions we make, and how we take care of our planet. It's vital, not only for our well-being, but our very survival.

Sorry, don't mean to rant, just getting it out there :)

--------------------oOo--------------------

5 Comments:

Blogger ms*robyn said...

hey ! remember me? can't wait to read your blog & catch up :)

6:24 AM  
Blogger Calidore said...

Yeah - someone who thinks like me, at least on the subject of staying home. Like you I bake my own cakes, bread etc, grow my own vegies or try to and budget with what we get each week. Sure I'd love a new car and all the mod cons, but reality says, until this house is paid for they aren't going to happen. I know we live in a new house, but by crikey we worked damm hard (ie we literally built it ourselves) to get what we have and have gone without a lot to get here. But looking back over the past seven years, I wouldn't trade it for quits. Ashley and I are even closer for having built a house together, we do everything as a family - us and the kids and we are all happier for it. Don't ever feel the need to apologuise for what you beleive in - these beleifs are what our society was founded on.

Opps sorry, turned into a book instead of a short comment, but like you I feel strongly about these issues.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Garden girl said...

Flossy - I did the same 25 years ago - it wasnt a popular choice as all women were working and still are. I had to find work for a while when the kids were at high school - worst time ever...too busy too stressed, so staying home for the kids when they were small - best choice I ever made! our house too was small and hard to buy stuff cos of lack of $$ but we got there!

2:26 PM  
Blogger ms*robyn said...

me too - I chose my family over a career and it was alot of sacrifice to arrive where we are today. I bake my own cakes mostly, grow my own vegies and live in jeans.

8:58 PM  
Blogger ms*robyn said...

oh and actually when I was on the cruise, I was asked what I did as a job and I said a homebody & mum. the response? 'oh you poor thing'..kinda made me feel a little stupid.

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home