Saturday, January 14, 2006

Pink Pyjamas and French Lavender


Well my friends, despite wafting prettily around in my pink pyjamas all day (Yep, all day), I did get something done.

I found some gorgeous recipes for "Essence de Lavande" laundry powder and softener, over at
Snowdrift Farm. After dutifully grating Sunlight soap for what seemed like an eternity, I added the other ingredients and voila! My very own homemade laundry powder. I was very impressed, except the soap overwhelms the lavender scent entirely, so next time, I will use unscented soap.
On to the softener I went. Did you know that 32oz (volume) of baking soda is 4 cups? 4 cups! it was way too much, I think. Next time I will use about half that.
Of course, I had to try them out, so the washing machine got a bit of a work out. I have a front loader, so I didn't use too much powder (about tablespoon or thereabouts). I think it works better than any commercial preparation I have used, and my clothes and towels smell so delicious!

After that I was inspired to make a Peg Bag - something I have been meaning to do for ages. I dug out some pretty lavender toile I had been saving for something lovely, and in about 10 minutes, I had a very sweet holder for my pegs! I was amazed at how easy it was to make, and can't believe I haven't done it sooner...

I really want to redecorate my laundry room now, and make it an ode to French lavender fields, but I had better wait until Monday to start, so Yog can't see what I'm doing!

--------------------oOo--------------------

6 Comments:

Blogger jellyhead said...

I am always so in awe of people like you, who can just 'whip up' a peg bag in 10 minutes! I love the idea of homemade laundry powder too (but must confess I'd be far too lazy to make it, in reality!)

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and for your feedback. Hope you're having a relaxing weekend :)

7:12 PM  
Blogger shellyC said...

Yep..got to do things without any pesky males around!!! Good luck with the laundry!!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Garden girl said...

I like that laundry bag - is it a peg bag...where did you get th pattern? I had my sewing machine out all day - hmmm I'd love another sewing project!!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Garden girl said...

I like that laundry bag - is it a peg bag...where did you get th pattern? I had my sewing machine out all day - hmmm I'd love another sewing project!!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Garden girl said...

ps - nice blog!!
oh ...must ask you..what are you intending to wwrite about in your journal? Flossie I would love some journal ideas!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Kali said...

Very nice.
As for having a free run to do what you like without the interfering males, I know what you mean!

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home