Friday, January 06, 2006

Scary Weather!



This is a (half melted) hailstone I picked up out of our yard tonight.

We had the worst hail storm I have seen in ten years of living in Australia. The noise was deafening - it sounded like bricks on the roof. The stones were all the size of this or bigger and it went on for about 15 minutes. My sister and her hubby were here for dinner, and all three of our cars are badly damaged. Yog's car was in the carport, but even it didn't escape. The bonnet and roof of my car and my sister's (18 month old) 4 wheel drive and the bonnet of Yog's (year old) Crewman Ute are all dented. So is our roof and the shed roof. I could have cried, but am thankful that it wasn't worse and we are all ok.

Will update tomorrow, when we can see more in the daylight.

--------------------oOo--------------------

5 Comments:

Blogger my vintage days said...

WOW! That must have been scary!

12:21 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

That is just dreadful, Flossy. How scary it must have been for you all - not sure whether it's worse in the daylight, when you can see, or worse at night when you can't.

I hope the damage isn't too extensive although I suspect that if you had a garden, then you don't have any more. I also hope the repair to your roof can be done quickly, but I suppose many other houses are damaged, possibly more so than yours.

I wish you good luck with the repairs and NO MORE HAIL STORMS.

6:43 AM  
Blogger ms*robyn said...

oh dear flossy - how are your roses? we had a hail storm years ago just like that - cars written off with so much damage - we had friends visiting who were moving to the US and their car was written off too and my poor garden was torn to shreds. hail as big as cricket balls.
but you know what? my garden came back twice as lush. Nature can be so cruel sometimes. big hugs to you dear floss

9:49 AM  
Blogger Peggy said...

hope everything looked better in the daylight! Glad you and the family are okay.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Kali said...

Oh my goodness, they're huge. What a frightening experience. I hope the damage is not too expensive and that you guys are all okay today.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home