Monday, February 20, 2006

GST, BAS and Other (not so) Fun Things

It's Business Activity Statement time again. I don't know what it is with the Australian Taxation Office, but I really, really detest them!
Most bills, I am happy to pay, it's a good feeling and I pay them willingly. But not the tax.
Maybe it's because we pay them inordinate amounts of money - not just each year, but every three months.
I hate the paperwork I have to do, and although they have a programme that makes it incredibly easy to calculate the GST (Goods and Services Tax) we inevitably have to pay each quarter, I still hate it!

I have eight days until I have to send them another ridiculously large cheque, and I have only just started the paperwork involved. I always put it off til the last minute.

I have friends who work a "normal" job, who think that we earn fantastic amounts of money and I have no right to complain. Truly, the Sweetie earns good money, but, it's not as good as most people think. There are so many expenses involved in working for yourself. Oh boy, if the dough that was coming in was all ours, I'd be jumping for joy! *lol* Anyway, that is not my complaint here...

I need to find a way to not resent the Tax Office - any suggestions?

--------------------oOo--------------------

8 Comments:

Blogger BrocanteHome said...

Oh Floss, even I can't think of anything scrumptious about the tax office. Grit your teeth, get your head down and try not to dwell on the million and one ways you could be spending your hard earned pennies...
Oh and yes: when you work for yourself deluded people always think you are loaded....

8:01 AM  
Blogger shellyC said...

No I can't think of way to not resent the tax office....so keep resenting them. I do!!!!!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Calidore said...

I resent them too. There is no way they deserve all the money we send them in the way of taxes. Ashley is self employed to and everyone things we are loaded. I wish. Cheer up it will be over soon, at least for three months anyway.

1:23 PM  
Blogger The Rich Gypsy said...

How about this then Flossy? It's a necessary evil ... it's why we have good roads and a good medical system (well ... maybe that should be past tense on the med system) ... it's why we have clean water ... blah blah blah.

More importantly ... can you change it (the whole tax system)? ...

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;

Courage to change the things I can;

And the wisdom to know the difference".

That help with the resentment thing? Naaah, didn't think so *_*

2:09 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I'd put it this way... better the tax office than any other negative karma. It could be something purely evil like cancer or poverty or something like that. Think of something you despise more, and replace your thoughts, therefore making tax not so bad.

4:31 PM  
Blogger dolly said...

if only we could keep all the money we earn...sigh ...these people are the same all over the world

6:10 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

You know what really annoys me about the tax office?Just how quick are they to demand monies owed but if they owe you just how long it takes to get your money back!!

5:18 AM  
Blogger ms*robyn said...

seems they always try to hurt small businesses. We have our own business too and it annoys me how some people think we are rolling in it. Yes it does bring benefits but right now, the building business is in a slump but we still have to pay higher taxes than others. don't get me started on this either ! hugs to you Floss xx00xx

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home