Thursday, February 23, 2006

Hmmph!

I'm feeling a bit out of sorts tonight. Just want to be on my own - I mean I love my family to bits, but I think it's all to do with my day today...

I had to return a couple of library books I had left behind when we went on Tuesday. So that took me to the "shops". I figured while I was there, I would have a wander around, and there were a couple of little things I wanted to pick up.

So my "not spending on anything but essentials for 21 days" went out the window I'm afraid. I got some crochet hooks, cookie cutters, a kitchen timer and a couple of mini cake tins for myself. I also picked up a couple of Christmas pressies (how organised am I?), and a couple of things on sale at the book shop. But I don't think it was the spending money that has me feeling icky. It was being around all those people in the shopping centre.

You see, lately I am spending an awful lot of my time puttering around at home, in solitude. And I like it. I enjoy my own company, and when I get sick of it, I have wonderful friends I can call on so I don't become too self-obsessed :) And having to go out into the big wide world and see all those people caught up in their spend til there's no more money mentality made me feel, well, sick.

I hope I don't come across all holier than thou here, but I am trying to strike a balance between frugality and little treats, rather than just buy for the sake of filling some gap in my life, that should be filled with something a little more meaningful.

I don't know, I think I'm rambling and trying to get it out of my head or maybe spending that bit of money that wasn't necessary really did get to me. That can only be a good thing I think. Means I'm no longer on auto pilot 24 hours a day.

Anyway, I have to go and put the groceries away - still sitting on the kitchen floor where I dumped them this afternoon!

Sweet dreams...

--------------------oOo--------------------

9 Comments:

Blogger VintagePretty said...

Here here! I agree wholeheartedly. It is good to get out, but even I shy away from big shopping centres/malls. I much prefer going into 'town' as it were, little shops, not huge chain stores, and running errands that way. Much better for the soul :)

1:51 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

I think you wrote this so eloquently Flossy!! I wholeheartedly agree with you also!
The malls are filled with busyness, and at times it tires me out, I try to avoid them at all costs! Sometimes I get out just to get a change of scenery and go to a little shop, and never purchase a thing, but seem to come away renewed and have some ideas for my next puttering day!!
Have a wonderful day dear!
Hugs to you :)

4:12 AM  
Blogger dolly said...

the exact same thing happened to me when I was doing the 'no spending for a month thing' - we came back from a big christmas holiday to Florida and I was like right no spending til February, I made it and boy did it feel good. I have always been a saver but it changed my whole attitude to money ~~it is *amazing* how much we all spend spend spend on things we don't need and who is getting rich on it???? the retailers! lol!

...I feel the same now about malls, although I love to go every now and then and have a leetle spend up, it really is now every now and then (unless its things the kids need)...and that makes it special and enjoyable

enjoy the experiment and keep going

dollyx

8:27 AM  
Blogger ms*robyn said...

oh Flossy - I understand so completely about malls. I don't go to the mall unless I absolutely have to - I am lucky enough to have small shops all around me.
I feel like the people at malls are 'invading my soul' sometimes. What irks me so much is the amount of food some of them consume. I have been shopping early in the morning so that I can get out early and there are small children having donuts and coke at 9am! so I come home feeling angry and frazzled.
I read somewhere in one of SBB books that if you feel you have to buy one thing - then buy one that makes your soul sing.
I feel that the whole world is in for a big change regarding our spending habits... more and more are trying to become simpler.
big hugs to you (and at least I am not the only one who has out of control chatter in her head :) )

8:45 AM  
Blogger Calidore said...

Couldn't agree with you more Flossy. I'm lucky, no malls here. I do enjoy them for a limited time, but we find we spend far too much when we are there. I have been trying also to not spend. So far so good. Shopped yesterday for just the essentials and window shopped for everything else...lol. Might have to spend some money though - need more threads for my cq. And I agree with Ms Robyn, seeing kids sucking on coke and donuts at 9 am does nothing for me either.
Have a wonderful day relaxing.
Hugs

10:03 AM  
Blogger Sharon K said...

Flossy,
I enjoy your blog and pictures and looking forward to your next post. I like the idea of alone time I think we all need time for our self and our thoughts.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Kali said...

Hope your feeling much better today, Flossy.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Garden girl said...

aww.... flossie - I have days when I just want to hide...hope youre ok?

11:43 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

I tend to agree with you all about shopping malls. I go to our nearest ones if I can't buy what I need locally, and I always end up spending far more than I mean to, and come home feeling annoyed with myself for giving in to temptation. Much better to get what I need at our local shops, and not overspend on luxuries.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home