Monday, March 13, 2006

A New Adventure?

I am contemplating homeschooling Harry Bear next year.

Now let me just say, that I'm not unhappy with the schools my kids go to - but H isn't doing that great in the school system. The girls are both fairly academic and doing very well. The principal of our school is fantastic. But they just don't have the resources to give H the time and individual attention he needs. This year he is doing better because he has a great teacher and he likes her - but who is to say what happens next year?

Anyway, I have started researching homeschooling in Australia, and specifically, Queensland. I have to say that the Education Department makes it as hard and as daunting as possible, I get the feeling the government isn't really too supportive of it.

I like the idea of H being able to work at his own pace, and study the things that interest him (as well as the basic subjects of course). I like that the whole environment becomes a "classroom". That everyday things become areas of learning in so many different ways.

I don't want H to be one of those kids that slips through the system. By the time he goes to high school, it will be too late. So I'd like to help him now, before he hates learning (and he's not far off now).

Of course if the girls want to homeschool as well, I will do it for them, but they like the social aspect of school, so I can't imagine they'd be too keen :)

I want to give my son every opportunity to be the best person he can be, and I think that homeschooling will give him those opportunities.

--------------------oOo--------------------

12 Comments:

Blogger dolly said...

I think it will be a lot to take on, but if you think *you* can do it then I think the benefits for him will be enormous. Good on you but make sure you are 100% happy and researched before you take the plunge, personally I don't think I could take it on but then I would never say never about a subject like this...what you do now could literally change his life if he is in danger of getting swallowed up by a system that doesn't cater for his needs.
dollx

1:07 PM  
Blogger Kali said...

I have to agree with Dolly ~ good luck with whatever you decide to do, Flossy.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Me too - as long as you both are happy and are benefitting from the experience... definitely yes! Sorry I have missed you, I have been away, so I am catching up on your life. I have to say that I am greatly disappointed in your transitioning from team to team... I am jealous at your victory but will stay loyal ;)
Love your aprons, you are a talented person, and should never ever stop creating.
As for the break in... Aaaggghh! The little terrors.. I certainly hope they get nabbed! hugs xoxox

8:59 PM  
Blogger shellyC said...

I am sure you will do a great job!! I couldn't as I don't think I could be organised enough within the home. But like you said you are going to be providing Harry with a special education that suits him. Good Luck and I look forward to hearing more about it.

10:41 PM  
Blogger The Four Bears in the Woods said...

I think that sounds like a good ideal also. I know some kids that have benefited from home schooling. So I say go for it.

I came here after veiwing jellyhead's blog site. She had baked the chocolate muffins and referred us here to get the recipe.
I just may have to try it, it looks good.

Enjoyed your posts.

Mama Bear

1:50 AM  
Blogger VintagePretty said...

I wasn't a school person, and having suffered bullying and general dislike of many different high-schools (usually they didn't teach what I wanted so desperately to learn), in the end my mother took me out of school when it got to the point where I hated going. It was a difficult time, but homeschooling is definitely the way to go - if I have children they will be homeschooled without a doubt because sometimes the best person to teach a child is the parent.

Good luck, I'm sure it'll work out great for you! :-)

5:42 AM  
Blogger Leanne said...

Only Mum knows best when it comes to her children. If your instincts say he would do better at home, then go for it! You'll be giving him the world on a silver platter alongside some homemade cookies!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Sharon K said...

I think only you will know if the home schooling will be right for him. My grandson in Alaska is homeschooled and he is doing quite well. You could always try it for a year and see how it works. Good luck.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I think that homeschooling can be good for certain kids and I think that only you and Haryy Bear can make that decision. Just make sure that you'll be prepared for all the work that is required to homeschool.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Garden girl said...

I teach some home schooled kids and they are doing much better than they would in school, there are drawbacks but I"m sure you will cosider everything flossie before making this BIG decision, good luck and keep us posted!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

some children blossom in school and excel in their lessons.. other children blossom and excel with one on one and no peer pressure. I think he would blossom at home with you and you will see a major difference in his learning... go for it!

1:57 AM  
Blogger denice said...

Hi! Found you via 4:53... I have some terrific scholars, but now I have one who just doesn't seem to fit the system so well, and seems to flounder. I am thinking of homeschooling next year as well... Still so much to think of.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home