Thursday, March 02, 2006

Roadblock to A Dream

I had a breakthrough last night at meditation.

Despite not wanting to go, and being antsy and fidgety all the way through, I made a discovery about myself. Well actually, I knew it anyway, but I vocalised it, and that can make all the difference...

The reason I don't have a business up and running, selling the things I love to make and create, is because I have a fear of failing. Well, more a fear that people won't like what I do. It's like I need external validation. In fact, I just love being at the sewing machine and making things for people, but I tend not to sell them, because if they're a gift, the recipient will love it, but oh my! If they have to pay for it, will it be good enough?

So I'm going to work on that, because I really want to be Australia's answer to Cath Kidston!

When I have my personal hour every morning, I will pray and meditate, so I can get over this block that my ego has planted in front of my dream.

I have more than enough in the way of creativity and imagination. I love the process of creating, but I just have that little voice in my head that tells me I'm not good enough.

I wonder - is it a fear of failure or a fear of success?

Either way, I will face my fears and be a huge success!

--------------------oOo--------------------

9 Comments:

Blogger shellyC said...

Flossy..get out there and have a real good look at what other people are selling...even shops!! Look on the insides too...get real picky.....then you will see you are really good enough!!!!!!!!!!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Kali said...

I think a lot of us habour this type of subconscious fear...
Good luck Flossy! We each have the power within us to achieve our hearts desire.
xoxo

10:43 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

I've often heard it said that people fear success more than failure. Somehow they expect to fail, so they often do; but should they be successful, they don't know how they will handle it, or if they deserve it.

I'm sure prayer and meditation can help, but you will still never know if you can be successful unless you put your dreams into action. Sure, you may have some letdowns and make some mistakes, but it's the mistakes that you learn from. You try a different way the next time.

I wish you not only luck, because you often make your own luck, but also strength, vision, determination, wisdom and perserverance. I hope you succeed beyond your wildest dreams.

1:27 PM  
Blogger dolly said...

I'm with Alice here - you have to give it a go ~~ why not start on Ebay, you'll soon get a feel for what people like and whether or not its good enough...to be honest I think so few people sew and create these days that the ones who do buy think that everything handmade is amazing cos they wouldn't have a clue where to start themselves! I know I was like that a few years ago before I took the plunge, bought a sewing machine and started to sew!

dollx

2:45 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Suzie, I agree too that you just need to get your stuff out there and try. Like someone else said, you can try ebay, but I would also recommend etsy, which is a site dedicated to people selling homemade items. It's full of all sorts of great stuff and it gets your name out there.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh, I almost forgot, if you haven't read the posts yet, go to Posie Gets Cozy and read her blog. She has a ton of posts about running her own store and the fears and concerns that go with it, but also the great joy. It might just give the extra push you need. After all, didn't you say a friend has lent you the space you need to sell your items?

9:36 PM  
Blogger BrocanteHome said...

Oh Susie, I feel like this all day everyday and worse than this, I deliberately sabotage myself day after day, just in case BrocanteHome should come crashing down and smash all my hopes and dreams in one foul swoop. Your confidence is growing all the time: I can see that hon, even if you can't...
So let's do a deal ok? You hold my hand and I will hold yours...

9:50 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Oh my goodness.. it's like I'm talking but my mouth isn't moving! I feel the same way... I should be doing all these things to get money into our house but I just can't! Please take me with you on this journey of self discovery... It might rub off onto me!

11:03 PM  
Blogger Sharon K said...

I think we all have the fear of failing but look at all the bloging friends that you have right here that say go for it and we know that you can do it. Try ebay or take that corner of the shop and do it........ Just do it.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home