Friday, May 12, 2006

What's in Store this Weekend

Hmmmph! I'm a bit cranky about Mother's Day. Guess what I'm doing?

That's right - taking the girls to a carnival. No sleep in for me - up at 5am, probably a drive-through breakfast from Maccas, and a day of sheer frustration watching Brooklyn's coach put her everywhere but in the position she plays.

Do you want to hear the story? Well too bad cos I'm going to tell you anyway! LOL
You may remember me telling you a while back about the child on the team that had the BAD attitude. Well, she is the coaches daughter. When the girls trialled for the team, they were picked at certain positions, and Brooke was picked as a shooter (because she is freakishly accurate). The problem is, this other girl insists that she play there, and the mother caves every time. Personally, I think that at this level, the coach shouldn't have a child in the team, for precisely that reason - it should be fair for all the players.

Anyway, on Tuesday, this other child also trialled for the regional team, but didn't get picked - and the mother was whinging about it. And even after watching Brooke shoot (she hasn't seen it before!) thinks that it should have been her daughter - at this point I should tell you that Brookes percentage is approx 90% - that is around the same as the Australian shooters!

So on Sunday, I am taking my little notebook, and writing down all statistics for Brooke's games, and will present them to the rep coordinator next week to state my case. Because to have any chance at State, Brooke needs to be playing in position at the next few carnivals, to get used to the harder defense players. So Mum is coming out all guns blazing on this one! LOL

That's my rant for the week. And I did warn you that winter becomes all about netball...LOL I wasn't kidding!

I'm going to get some retail therapy today, just to reduce my stress levels :)

--------------------oOo--------------------

8 Comments:

Blogger shellyC said...

Hope you have a great day shopping!! Good on you though for sticking up for Brooke. It is a shame when this kind of things happen with spoilt kids.

PS. I play hockey so really hate netball...but i will still visit you regularly this winter!!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Calidore said...

I hope everything goes well with this. Have to agree with you on the coaches daughter not being given what she wants just because Mum is the coach.

Have a lovely Mothers Day despite the early start and the frustrations.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Cookie said...

Good Luck with the netball problem and hope you have a nice Mothers Day as well. Hugsss

12:19 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

I often wondered which was more stressful - playing the sport or being a supporting parent. It's really hard to cope with this sort of discrimination, particularly when so much is resting on trial games, etc. When you know that your child really does have the ability, as opposed to wishing they had, you share their disappointment at the unfairness of it all.

I would suggest that you compile the statistics, present them calmly and hope that the judges will take note. Unfortunately, it may be one of the bitter lessons that Brooke will have to endure, but it will make her a more resilient competitor, too.

I sometimes thought that my son was treated unfairly in Rep. teams for his sport. But he always found something positive in the situation and didn't agonise over it nearly as much as I did. His attitude certainly held him in good stead as he was ultimately selected in an Australian development team.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

Enjoy your weekend dear Flossy and Happy Mothers Day!!! Enjoy...xo

12:15 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Congratualations Brooke! I know you are such a proud mummy!

(I had a completely different idea of what "netball" is until I saw the pictures-I thought it was some sort of lacrosse type game, but it's basically basketball, isn't it?).

10:59 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I totally agree with everyone else... It is unfortunate that Brooke's talent has been overseen by favouritism of the coaches daughter. All good things come to those who wait... I believe that Brooke will shine above all in the end. Congratulations and good luck my friend xox

11:35 PM  
Blogger Sharon K said...

Hope the team won and you will feel better when you get this problem settled. Good luck to you and I hope your day was special in some way. Come visit me on my front porch again.

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home