Monday, July 10, 2006

Creating rituals for everyday Living

In order to make life lovely, I believe you need rituals. I’m not talking about rituals for yearly events like Christmas and birthdays. Think rituals for the everyday things we do.

Like eating, sleeping and bathing. Even paying the bills and cleaning the house can be made into a lovely reminder that you are alive.

We spend an awful lot of time every single day doing things that are ordinary, even - dare I say it - mundane. Well, I’m here to tell you that it doesn’t have to be that way.
In order to create simple little rituals to make our lives beautiful, we need to begin with order and organisation. It’s so much easier to do something when everything you need is on hand or easily found. I will go into that in more depth another time. For now, I want to give you some ideas on how to make those boring tasks something special.

Breakfast Time
Do you eat breakfast on the run, while you are rushing out the door to face another frantic day?
Stop. Take a deep breath - and slow down.

Starting your morning with a gentle breakfast ritual will make you feel good for the whole day. We are all busy in the mornings, but try setting your breakfast table the evening before, with a pretty cloth, a flower in a jar, bowls and cutlery. All that remains in the morning is to rise maybe a half hour earlier and ease your way into the day calmly and quietly.

It can be done, if you want to do it badly enough. Your family will love you for it, not to mention how good you will feel on your way out the door.

Showering and Bathing
It’s relatively easy to create a ritual when you are having a bath. Unfortunately, we don’t get the luxury of having the time to do that very often.

Why not create the same relaxing atmosphere when you have a shower. Again, it’s simply a matter of having everything on hand to make shower time a retreat.

Scented candles can still be placed around the bathroom - try lots of them so you can turn the harsh lights off and shower completely by candlelight. I don’t know about you, but I have washed my hair so many times, I really don’t need a glaring light to do it!

Have your exfoliating scrub in the shower and your favourite moisturiser for when you get out. Soft, fluffy towels are a must and something that shouldn’t be reserved for guests or a stay in a hotel. Little luxuries, everyday, make for a life worth savouring.

------------------------------------------

More ideas for creating rituals to come soon…

--------------------oOo--------------------

12 Comments:

Blogger Gina E. said...

What a nice post, Flossy! Plenty of food for thought there. I am very much a breakfast person, married to a non-breakfast person, which has always disappointed me! I can think of nothing nicer than to start the day (EVERY day), sitting down to breakfast together like my family used to in the 50's, toast, cereal or porridge and a pot of tea. Ken is out of the door with a banana in one hand and his car keys in the other. I sit at the table with a bowl of cereal, fruit and yoghurt, which I eat slowly, followed by a cup of tea or coffee.
As for baths...I feel guilty for using too much water when I have my weekly bath (showers the rest of the time!). I like to almost-fill my bath, tip in bubbles, oils, bathbombs, or whatever else appeals to me at that moment. I turn on the heater (only in winter of course), lay the towel, slippers, jamies and dressing gown nearby, and step into the bath to read for an hour or so! The guilt kicks in as I top up the bath with hot water as it cools....well, it's only once a week!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Vintage Wine said...

I agree with you! It`s important to make everyday life as nice as possible, because our life is filled with everyday life and daily chores - but that isn`t a bad thing ;-) I like rituals and I find comfort in it!

11:50 PM  
Blogger ~ Tracy ~ said...

Wonderful ideas, Flossy! Looking forward to reading more. :)

11:57 PM  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Good morning Flossy!, (I'm not keen on the word..'rituals' to me it speaks of a dead-end religion instead of living faith in Christ)...but as for pampering and enjoying life to the fullest, what a delightful truth you put forth here. How we gloss over the very act of living...something so priveliged that we should be celebrating every common act of life for it is anything but common.

1:08 AM  
Blogger PEA said...

I love the ideas and it can all be so easy to do if only we took the time...that's what's happening to people these days, everyone is in too much of a rush and don't even see what's in front of their eyes. Life can be so much more pleasant if we just took a bit of time to "stop and smell the coffee":-)

2:38 AM  
Blogger It's a FLIP-FLOP World said...

What great ideas...like PEA said, things are just too fast anymore. I lived in the 50's even though I was just a kid I remember that things were slower then. It would be great if things were that way now. Seems like I am doing 3 things at once and then they don't all get done..and I am retired!! wow how can that be? Hm!!!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Sharon K said...

Good post and all so true. I am an organized person and it may take a few minutes now but in the long run it saves time. Some times we are in such a hurry to do every day things, take the time and smell the flowers along the way..........

10:05 AM  
Blogger ms*robyn said...

well I for one absolutely adore rituals - the rituals of day to day living, the rituals of the Catholic faith & my very own rituals that I do each season and full moon. great post flossy !!!!!! keep it up xoxo

1:15 PM  
Blogger littlejennywren said...

What would life be without our own rituals. Everything we do automatically in a daily situation can be seen as our ritual. If you stop and analyse what you do , become more aware of your actions and work towards making them what you want them to be you can live your days with a greater appreciation. I bet a lot of what we do is already beautiful we have just ceased to be aware.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Kali said...

ahhh, where would we be without our day to day rituals...I'd be lost without them...that's why I'm trying to enjoy the bliss in every single day...Enjoying The Journey called Life :)

5:24 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Ritual - series of actions used in a religious or other ceremony (Oxford dictionary). If you think about it hard enough.... there are rituals in just about everything we do. There are rituals the way we bathe ourselves, the way we pray, the way we walk and talk, eat and sleep.... Yet again my sweet you have brought up an intriguing topic to converse about. It has made me think alot about myself and my actions... no matter how mundane I once thought they were. Thank you, and Happy Wednesday! xox

11:57 PM  
Blogger norththreads said...

Hi flossy! These are great ideas!!
~cheers~
Ang

4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home