Thursday, July 20, 2006

Going To Bed the Flossy Way

I don't know about you, but my bed is my favourite place in the world. I love going to bed and snuggling under the covers, at any time of the day :) It's a comfort thing...

18 months ago, it was time to replace the old, worn-out sleeping arrangement. Fortunately, I knew exactly what I was looking for - finding it was another matter. I searched for weeks, and after thinking I may have to settle for something not-quite-right, I found it. The perfect bed.

White, distressed timber. Higher than the average bed. Rather Swedish farmhouse looking, but it was perfect!

On to the new mattress, that was easy - fairly firm, with pillowtop on both sides. With all the extra height from both bed and mattress, we just about need a ladder to climb into bed - makes me feel like a princess :)

Yesterday, I went shopping for new treats for my sleeping experience...so what follows is how I make my bed for a luscious sleep.

First, a mattress protector, followed by a wool and silk underlay, sprayed with lavender linen spray. On top of that are Egyptian cotton sheets (320 thread count) in "seafoam green" (about the colour of this post!) also sprayed with lavender. Next comes the Ralph Lauren quilt - all snuggly and pretty :)

On to the pillows. 2 sets of wool pillows, with the top ones covered in a wool protector - all misted with lavender, of course!

To finish, I fold a vintage, white Matelasse cover and place at the end of the bed, for when it gets a bit chilly at night, and maybe a couple of cushions to add interest.

To me, bedding is something you should NEVER scrimp on. Buy the best you can - it saves money in the long run, and makes for truly wonderful nights sleep. I will save money elsewhere, but I won't put polyester on my bed! A restful sleep sets you up for the rest of the day, and I deserve the luxury, quite frankly.
I love to go into bedding shops and browse, feeling the fabrics, drinking in the colours of sheets and covers. I touch all the cushions - it's such a tactile, sensuous experience. I can wander around for hours in a good linen shop!

Greens, blues and lavenders are great, restful colours for bedding. And I think more practical than white. Especially when there is a man in the bed, who may or may not appreciate the pristine linen that takes so much effort to achieve on laundry day LOL

Lamps and candles are another favourite for my bedroom - much nicer than harsh overhead lights, and they add a restful quality to the room.

Finally, don't forget the room spray - it's so lovely to drift off to sleep with a hint of lavender or French vanilla wafting around you...


I will post photos later today, after I have made the bed! LOL It's early in the morning here...

--------------------oOo--------------------

16 Comments:

Blogger Vintage Wine said...

Hi again :-)

I hope you`ve had a lovely week! I`ll make sure to catch up on your post tomorrow, but I`m off to bed now! It`s almost midnight here in Sweden & I`m exhausted after all those hours in the car :-) I feel even more tired now when I read this post ;-)

Love & blessings!

7:12 AM  
Blogger It's a FLIP-FLOP World said...

Wow..sounds comforting and sleepy to me. I wish that men understood just how women like things like this. I can never get this explained to my hubby. He just wants someplace to "fall into" and off to sleep he goes in a matter of seconds. You are so fortunate to be able to have such a beautiful setting for sleeping...wonderful!!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

"I'm obsessed with having the perfect linens. I sleep a lot. My bed's like a big hug."
~Reese Witherspoon (American Actress)
Sounds like you have a lot in common with her...huh?
I agree though, a doctor once told my fil never scrimp on your shoes or your mattress...lol!!! I love me some good sheets and comforter in nice yummy colors like you discribe!
:-D

9:15 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I totally agree with you. Though my bed may look gorgeous, my room is tiny and cramped, and until I can get in there and build some storage.... tough luck Nic. I have an oriental theme at the moment but will go back to whites once I can afford it.... the set I want costs hundreds upon hundreds of dollars (gosh). I can't wait to see pictures. xox Nic.

5:33 PM  
Blogger shellyC said...

Nothing nicer than that first night of clean sheets!!!
I love my bed too...very European, latex matress, no metal, wool underlay, king size and wonderful. If I took the care you do to make it...I probably would sleep better so I think I should try it. Thanks Flossy.

6:14 PM  
Blogger VintagePretty said...

Amen, I couldn't agree with you more. Recently I've been feeling very tired (I have bouts of this, usually around now, lasting about 2 months, and in january/february - and at these times my bed is a complete sanctuary. Our room tends to be cluttered, and I go along with the idea that a cluttered room leads to a bad night's sleep, so I try to get everything put away before we sleep. I love the idea of the woollen pillows, we're due for some new ones, so now I know which ones I'll get!

I am a big fan of cotton, it is an absolute annoyance to iron (if it's line-dried I don't iron it, as there are no crinkles at all), but there is something just so comfy about cotton. Warm in winter, cool in summer etc.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Mrs Blythe said...

Lol, sounds a delightful place to sleep. Mine is just *yawn* polyester cotton duvet and sheet and pillowcases. Not v exciting I'm afraid.

2:34 AM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

After reading that I feel like going back to bed. I agree about the cotton sheets, I have heavy pure cotton sheets in pale blue on my bed at the moment, and at night, I just love getting into bed and pulling the sheets and doona right up to my ears. Absolute heaven!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

Your beds sounds lovely! I enjoy using the lavender spray...so refreshing! I agree with you...don't scrimp on the bed linens!!! Great post Flossy and looking forward to your photos!!
Blessings and hugs to you...xo

1:04 PM  
Blogger jellyhead said...

I feel relaxed merely reading about your bed! 320 thread count??? - I didn't even know you could buy it! Where can you get these super-duper sheets? (you've made it all sound so blissful, I want some now!)

1:30 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

I would leave a comment but your description has put me to sleep ...lol.

I love hopping into a well-made bed. Ours is a water-bed, which aren't as common as they used to be, but I love it and after 18 years I certainly don't want to part with it. Comfy and warm in winter, comfy and cool in summer.

10:05 PM  
Blogger norththreads said...

Cant wait to see!!!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Hubby spends more time in our nest than I do. His heart and lungs need a LOT of rest, so I let him sleep in on weekends as long as he needs to - often until after midday. I can't stay in bed once I am awake in the morning - I have to be up and getting on with things! We have a lambswool underlay with magnets through it, supposedly to alleviate aches and pains. After a few hours housework or gardening I ache all over, but the next morning, I'm as good as new. Before we got the magnet underlay, I would still be aching the next day. It hasn't helped my bursitis though...:-(

12:34 AM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:35 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

You have a lovely site, and I enjoyed the article on creating a pretty, soothing bedroom. I agree that greens and lavendars are soothing in a bedroom. My mil make me a beatuiful yellow and purple quilt. I have wanted to paint the walls of our bedroom lavendar, but, somehow, DH draws the line at that. The poor man has to live with enough girly, frilly stuff as it is. So, I may choose green, which will also pick up some of the colors in the quilt.

It's fun to do up a bedroom.

elizabeth
http://elizabeth-themerryrose.blogspot.com

4:54 PM  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Your new bed sounds wonderful, like a dream come true...

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home