Thursday, October 05, 2006

Thursday

Well, I have been enjoying the delightful Spring weather we have been having here in South East Queensland - my only complaint is I would dearly love a little more rain...
It would save me hauling the watering can to the vege garden four or five times every afternoon.

Yes, the garden is coming along quite nicely. The corn is starting to poke through, as are the sunflowers I tossed in for good measure. No sign of the carrots or broccoli yet... I also popped a fewstrawberry plants in, and they are looking marvellous.
On the seedling front, I have lots of lettuce, two types of tomatoes and cucumber growing madly in the trays - still waiting on the capsicum to show it's face.
This vege garden is kind of an interim measure until I get the permaculture up and running. In a couple of weeks I get my child support for the month and I am going to use it to buy the pipe and other things I need to make a portable chook (hen) tractor. Should I feel bad? No, the kids will get as much benefit and fun from having chooks as I will - and they love eggs!
Anyway, the chook tractor is apparently snake-proof (which is good, because I have seen a couple), and hopefully fox-proof. Although I can make sure of that.
Once it is finished I get to go and buy some chicks - I want 12 - and then they can get busy digging the garden beds for me :)

Last week I went for a drive to the only organic supermarket within a reasonable distance, and purchased a Bokashi Bucket What a great thing it is! I can now put ALL my kitchen scraps into it (including small amounts of meat and paper), without the hike down to the compost every evening. It doesn't smell at all, and I get to use it all in my garden in 3-4 weeks.

This Sunday, the kids and I are driving to the Gold Coast to go to the only dedicated organic markets around here. I'm looking forward to seeing what they offer. The kids are also desperate to go to the beach LOL

Still no soapmaking done around here, and the school holidays are nearly over LOL. It has been a quiet hols, and I don't know about the kids, but I've enjoyed them! No running around like a madwoman as is usually the case, just cruising through each day and enjoying what it brings...

I have a grand final to play in tonight for netball. Wish me luck - the family are coming to watch! LOL After this, I am down to one game a week instead of three, so that will free up a little time!! Although I am thinking about playing six-a-side soccer one night a week - we'll see.

Anyhow, that's all the news for now - stay safe and happy my friends xx

--------------------oOo--------------------

6 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

Aren't you the little garden diva!!
I got a few tomatoes out of my patio container plants and was overjoyed, they tasted so sweet...but it did get tiresome toting a water can daily!
Have fun!!
:-D

9:00 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I am trying to focus on my roses at the moment. I found party crashers on them the other day and quickly whipped out the necessary spray (organic of course).... so I pop out to check on them every couple of hours in between arty sessions. Hope you have a gorgeous day my sweet. With love, Nic xox.

10:01 AM  
Blogger jellyhead said...

Glad you're having fun in your garden :)

Best of luck for the grand final tonight!!!

5:45 PM  
Blogger VintagePretty said...

The garden sounds excellent and hens too! Oh how we'd love to have some soon, hopefully next year perhaps? :D

6:08 PM  
Blogger shellyC said...

Best of Luck for your Grand Final!!!

9:11 PM  
Blogger cityfarmer said...

Still can't believe you have the luxury of spring!

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home